How to edit time tracking in Jira?
If you are setting up a Jira time tracking for the very first time, head to our article on Jira time tracking configuration - we explained how to prepare this feature for work there.
However, if already enabled this feature and want to alter it right now, here are a few important questions you might want to answer.
How to change time tracking in Jira?
To change the details of your time tracking in Jira, simply click on a grind in the top right corner of your screen, and choose the Time Tracking page.
In this panel, you can configure options such as:
- Hours per day: This determines the number of hours your employees are expected to track in a standard workday.
- Days per week: This specifies the number of working days in a week.
- Time format or default unit of time: You can choose whether your employees report their worked time in days, minutes, or hours.
However, in order to apply these changes, you must first disable Jira time tracking. Once you reactivate the feature, your employees will be able to track time based on the defined limitations.
How to remove Jira time tracking?
Removing Jira time tracking from your console takes just a few seconds. To do that:
- Navigate to the 'Settings' section.
- From there, access the 'Issues' menu.
- Within the 'Issues' menu, locate and select 'Issue Features.'
- Look for the option labeled 'Time Tracking' and click on it.
- Finally, choose the 'Deactivate' option to disable time tracking.
How to reset Jira time tracking value?
According to many users, resetting a time tracking value might be a bit complicated depending on the case you are facing.
- Opening your issue in Jira Cloud.
- Then, look for the 'Activity' section and select it.
- Within the 'Activity' section, locate and choose 'Work log.'
- Here, you will have the option to edit or delete the tracked time associated with the issue.
However, many users report that this option is not working in their case. If that happens to you, too, you need to follow these steps:
- Grant yourself the "Delete Own Worklogs" permission.
- Return to the worklog activity of the issue and try to delete the work using the New issue view.
- In the New issue view, you will not find the "Delete" feature.
- Switch to the Old Issue view of a specific ticket to confirm if you can delete or edit the worklog using a pencil icon in the top right corner of the pop-up.
How to disable Jira time tracking for a project?
To disable time tracking, follow these steps:
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click on "Administration" and then select "Issues."
- Under "Issue Features," choose "Time Tracking" to access the Time Tracking page.
- Click the "Deactivate" button to turn off time tracking.
It's important to note that disabling and re-enabling time tracking will not result in the loss of any existing time tracking data.
What time tracking options I can’t edit in Jira?
However, even though you have the ability to customize certain aspects of Jira's time tracking based on your preferences and requirements, there are crucial features that Jira lacks, which will undoubtedly be necessary for your work. For instance, in Jira, you are unable to:
- Adjust the number of working days specifically for part-time employees.
- Effectively manage overtime by delving into the specific details or identifing its source.
- Manage time-offs efficiently, as Jira does not offer features for handling public holidays or individual time-off requests.
- Conduct comprehensive analysis for project management purposes using reports, as their capabilities are limited.
Can I expand my Jira somehow?
Luckily Jira can be integrated with other tools. Primetric is one of them - and it can fill in all the Jira’s gaps!
Apart from its abilities to import time tracking information to and from Jira, Primetric can also use the data to generate comprehensive reports, measure capacity and help you with creating perfect resource management plans with no schedule conflicts. Then, you can use the information to reduce employee bench, improve the number of billable hours and make your company much more profitable!
Sounds good? Book a demo with our advisor - we will show you how to achieve it all!
Editing Jira time tracking is still a problem for you?
No worries - we have a few more articles that can help you!
Visit Primetric blog and read about:
- creating custom fields in Jira,
- using Jira Timesheets Reports and Gadgets,
- Jira time tracking for subtasks,
- estimates for Jira time tracking,
- Jira cost management.
Alternatively, Jira simply might not be the right solution for you, as it only offers basic time tracking features. If you need a bigger picture of your timesheets and business performance, try working with Primetric. Book a demo with our advisors and see how our tool can turn your data into transparent reports and valuable insights!